Sticky Chai Latte spice mix
A spicy aromatic blend with a touch of honey and a kick of ginger
- 25 grams Cinnamon quills
- 12 grams Star anise
- 12 grams green cardamom pods
- 5 grams Whole cloves
- 2 tsp Whole black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp Freshly grated ginger
- 1-2 tbsp Honey
- 25 grams Rooibos tea
- Process the cinnamon sticks and star anise for a few seconds in a food processor to break into smaller pieces.
- Process the cardamom pods to split them open. Or, give them a bash with a morter and pestle.
- Give the cloves and peppercorns a very quick process in the food processer, avoid overdoing or the chai will be bitter.
- Add the spices to a dry frypan heated to medium heat and toast, stirring frequently, for up to 5 minutes. Take off the heat, add the Rooibos tea, ginger and honey and stir well.
- Store in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to a month.
To make into a chai latte
- Add a heaped dessertspoon of spice mix to a small saucepan with 1/2 mug of water per person. Bring to the boil and simmer gently on a low heat for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 mug almond milk per person and heat until almost boiling.
- Strain through a small seive into a cup, top with a little frothed almond milk if desired, and sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
Recipe adapted from http://asmy.org.au/lifestyle/chai-tea/